Friday, April 11, 2008

Isn't that the damnest thing

Watching Ottawa-Pittsburgh and Washington-Philly tonight, both are terrific games and make me wish I hadn't said I don't care about the playoffs. That was a shortlived lie. The best part of the first game is that to this point (3-3, 9:00 of the third), Martin Gerber has been brilliant. All we heard this year from out east, after the Sundin trade nonsense and the Leafs' GM search ("Which GM candidate can eat the most earthworms in 30 seconds? Find out next, on 'The Biggest Loser: Search for the Leafs' GM'") was about Ottawa's goaltending situation. Gerber's terrible! Emery is killing the team! It's Bryan Murray's fault! Woe is all things Senator! Why can't this team EVER have a goalie!?!?!?! It's only two games of course, but this is some of the best goaltending this team has had, probably THE best. Hilarious.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The funniest thing was when the announcer for the Washington game says with a 4 to 4 tie "The good news for Philly is that Ovechkin hasn't scored yet, and the bad news for Philly is that Ovechkin hasn't scored yet."

Go Rangers, they played well. I knew that game would be tight after the first period. So the new theory on playing the Devils is to put pucks at the net and get a lucky one. And then immediately keep the pressure on and get another one. Because the Devils are clutch enough to spoil a shutout when they need to.

I'm still sticking with my preseason finalist picks Sharks vs. Rangers. I think SJ can still pull it off, but Calgary is built for the playoffs. I just think they got a little to overzealous in game 2. SJ definitely capitalized by being disciplined.

As far as Ottawa goes, they have been tragic. In my playoff pool I picked Pittsburg in 6, and almost picked the upset because part of me believed in miracles. They have done well at times, but putting together 60 full minutes of good defensive hockey against the pens is tough, and they haven't done a real good job of it. I say leave a man back and stop pinching altogether. It's not the Senator way, but 2 on 1's kill. Especially if it's Malkin and Sykora coming at you.